A list of anagram clues, with their annotated solutions, is given below.
Each clue has some element that will make Ximeneans (i.e. crossword setters/enthusiasts who uphold the standards laid down by Ximenes) frown.
Your task is to
- Say what is unXimenean about the clue.
- Say whether you like the clue or not.
Put your thinking caps on and have your say. Comments will be held unpublished till Friday 22nd Jan 2010, so that those who visit late also get a fair chance to try.
1. Guardian 24902 (Bronxie): One who thinks about fluid (5) MUSER
Anagram of SERUM (fluid), with "about" as anagrind.
2. Independent 7215 (Radian): Derringer's exploits? (6) PISTOL
Anagram of PLOITS. PISTOL is ex-PLOITS.
3. Guardian 24070 (Rufus): Madly devouring without end, showing gusto (6) VIGOUR
Anagram of (DEVOURING – END), with "madly" as anagrind.
4. Sunday Times 4356: Secured, however noted error (8) BUTTONED
BUT (however) + (NOTED)*, with "error" as anagrind.
5. THC 9566 (Gridman): Engine parts from crate burst or fell apart (12) CARBURETTORS
(CRATE BURST OR)*, with "fell apart" as anagrind.
6. THC 9546 (Neyartha): Half-witted doctor declines aid from the vocal bishop’s neighbour (7,5) TWELFTH NIGHT
Anagram of (HALFWITTED – AID) with "doctor" as anagrind.
NIGHT is a homophone of KNIGHT, which is bishop's neighbour in chess.
(Ignore the missing definition – this clue was part of a themed puzzle, in which answers were Shakespeare's plays.
That's not the error here. Thanks to Ramna for pointing this out.)
Bring on those comments!
If you wish to keep track of further articles on Crossword Unclued, you can subscribe to it in a reader via RSS Feed. You can also subscribe by email and have articles delivered to your inbox, or follow me on twitter to get notified of new links.