It's been six years since I wrote the first post on Crossword Unclued, a 7-step guide to cryptic crosswords for beginners. Blogging since then has an amazing, fun-filled journey. Thank you very much for reading and contributing to the blog.
One of the best side-effects of writing Crossword Unclued has been the creative, thoughtful and positively brilliant people it has brought into my life. One of them is Kishore Rao, who once again makes the daunting feat of setting a cryptic crossword in Hindi a reality. Kishore shared this Hindi crossword as a gift for Crossword Unclued on the birthday. Thanks a lot, Kishore.
I've been asked by him to claim co-authorship, for writing a few of the clues and for sundry contributions such as realizing, after the entire puzzle had been pruned and polished, that an interlocked letter needed the nasalization dot, thus causing a complete reworking of the grid.
Here is the finished Hindi cryptic crossword for your solving pleasure. Instructions for solving and sending in your answers are below the puzzle. And there's a prize to be won, too.
1 ख़ुशी से भरपूर होने के लिए ज़रा मज़े के साथ आराम करना, बिना सर लगाए (3)
नीचे की ओर
1 चुटकुला जिसे थोड़ा पहले ही रोकने से आनंद मिलता है (3)
PDF format available here.
Notes On The Crossword
- Word lengths are in syllables e.g. each of the words पहला, प्रथम, प्रदान will be enumerated as (3).
- Complex consonants go into a single cell e.g. वर्ग will be split into two cells, the first with व, the second with र्ग.
- In wordplay, the matras may be treated independently of the letters e.g. राम may be anagrammed to give मार or मरा.
- Send in your completed entries to shuchi [at] crosswordunclued [dot] com, with the subject line "Hindi Cryptic Crossword 2 – Solution", latest by Thursday 14th August 2014.
- Entries should preferably be sent in this solution template – replace "Your Name" in the file name with your name. If not using the template, the solution should be legible and readable in a standard text or image reader. PNG, Excel, Word formats are all OK.
- Solution words should be in Devanagari script. [A tool like Quillpad can be used for typing in Hindi.]
- Entries should contain annotations for the answers. Any annotation format is all right – words or symbols, Hindi or English – as long as how you arrived at the answer is clear.
If you have any related questions, please post them in the comments section.
The winner can choose any one of these prizes:
- Flipkart gift voucher worth INR 1000
- Amazon US gift card worth USD 15
- Amazon UK gift card worth GBP 10
The solver with the maximum correct answers will win. In case of ties, the winner will be picked by a lucky draw.
The solution to the crossword and the winner's name will be announced in a follow-up post after 14th August 2014.
All the best, enjoy solving!
Update (21st August 2014): Solutions and winner announcement.
- 5 Years of Blogging, and 5 Life Lessons from Cryptic Crosswords
- Crossword Unclued Turns Four
- How do you spell Ximenean in Hindi?
If you wish to keep track of further articles on Crossword Unclued, you can subscribe to it in a reader via RSS Feed. You can also subscribe by email and have articles delivered to your inbox, or follow me on twitter to get notified of new links.