Starting 1st December 2009 The Hindustan Times (HT) has been carrying the Concise and Cryptic crosswords of The Times, UK. [Hat tip to Anish Madhavan (maddy) for posting this news on the THC forum.]
The first Times cryptic in HT was #21685. This was originally published in the Times UK on 26th March 2001. A lag of almost eight years – but that's all right - crosswords, unlike news reports, don't age too rapidly with time.
This is very good news for crossword fans in India. The Times is one of the best cryptic crosswords I know of, challenging, creative and with the fairest standards of clueing. There aren't too many British cultural references either that could possibly alienate an Indian audience, at least when compared with the other popular syndicated crossword, Everyman in The Hindu (Sunday).
The Statesman (Kolkata) used to publish the Times crossword once upon a time but it was discontinued. It is great to find another Indian newspaper revive it.
Do solve the Hindustan Times cryptic, and if you're stuck with a solution feel free to ask!
How To Get The HT Cryptic Crossword Online
- Go to http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/.
- Click Search on the header to launch the ePaper Search screen.
- On the ePaper Search screen, enter 'crossword' under Article Search and click the next arrow button.
- You'll reach the search results screen, on which you can optionally modify the date for which you want the crossword (it is today's date by default). The results of search are displayed below on the same page. Click on the result line that has the word CRYPTIC prefixed to it.
- The crossword image opens in a new popup window [*]. Click Print on the window header to take a print of the crossword, and text view to get the crossword clues in text form.
[*]Note: If the popup window does not open when you click on the crossword, it is possible that the browser's popup blocker is enabled. This needs to be turned off for the Hindustan Times website. Search on the web for "how to disable popup blocker" to fix this in your browser.
The Latest Times Crosswords
If you like what you see in the syndicated puzzles and want to solve the latest Times crosswords, sign-up for the Times Crossword Club here. The daily solutions to the latest Times cryptic puzzles are discussed on the blog Times for the Times.
- Economic Times Crossword Online
- Sample A Themed Guardian Crossword
- Get Notified of Online Crossword Updates