Is it just me or does anyone else also feel uneasy about unused words in telescopic clues?
Take these clues from the last few issues of THC:
1. THC 9409: Ancient people some police nicely escort (5)
2. THC 9410: Man some feel I humbled (5)
3. THC 9411: Squandered moneyin ignoble ways (4)
4. THC 9412: Zulu regiment in scrimpiest outfit (4)
In 2 and 3, the solution spans across all the extra words (i.e. words other than the solution and indicator). In 1 and 3, the words "escort" and "outfit" don't contribute at all to the hidden word, they're just there to help with the surface reading.
2 and 3 are fine by me, 1 and 4 not so much.
- Hidden Words in Cryptic Clues
- The Hindu Crossword 9409: Too Tough? (Gridman)
- The Hindu Crossword 9384 (M.Manna)