I wrote once about the characteristics of Hindi that make it incompatible with cryptic wordplay, and what could be done to make cryptic crosswords in Hindi possible. Our ever-enterprising friend Kishore rose to the challenge of creating a full-blown 11x11 Hindi grid - the first cryptic puzzle in the language that I know of.
I am delighted to share the crossword with you. As a bonus for the one who cracks it, there is a prize to be won. It should be easy for anyone who knows basic Hindi, do give it a try.
The crossword has gone through rounds of scrubbing and polishing since the time its first draft reached my inbox last month. The grid was altered, many clues fine-tuned. We learnt some interesting lessons about challenges unique to grid-filling in Hindi, and have recommendations for Hindi crossword setters that I'll share in a separate post. [Update (25th October 2013): Here it is - Setting a Hindi Crossword: Lessons Learnt and Recommendations]
Due to my active interfe… er, involvement in the project, Kishore insists that I take joint credit for the crossword. Since it makes him happy, I solemnly abide by his wish and squeeze my name into the byline. This crossword is “Set by Kishore and Shuchi”.
1 शराबी चुनाव मे भाग ले सकता है (4)
नीचे की ओर
1 अभिनेत्री लड़की शराब सहित (4)
PDF format available here.
Notes On The Crossword
- Word lengths are in syllables e.g. each of the words पहला, प्रथम, प्रदान will be enumerated as (3).
- Complex consonants go into a single cell e.g. वर्ग will be split into two cells, the first with व, the second with र्ग.
- In wordplay, the matras may be treated independently of the letters e.g. राम may be anagrammed to give मार or मरा.
Send in your completed entries to shuchi [at] crosswordunclued [dot] com, latest by 25th October 2013. Points to note:
- Solution words should be in Devanagari script. [A tool like Quillpad can be used for typing in Hindi.]
- Entries should be legible and readable in a standard text or image reader. PNG, Excel, Word formats are all OK. Update (19th October 2013): Included a solution template for sending in your answers. Use it if you like.
- Entries should contain annotations for the answers. Any annotation format is all right – words or symbols, Hindi or English – as long as how you arrived at the answer is clear.
If you have any related questions, please post them in the comments section.
The winner can choose any one of these prizes:
- Flipkart gift voucher worth INR 1000
- Amazon US gift card worth USD 15
- Amazon UK gift card worth GBP 10
The solver with the maximum correct answers will win. In case of ties, the winner will be picked by a computerised lucky draw.
The solution to the crossword and the winner's name will be announced in a follow-up post after 25th October 2013.
All the best. I hope you enjoy solving the crossword as much as we enjoyed setting it.
Update (29th October 2013): Solutions and winner announcement.
If you wish to keep track of further articles on Crossword Unclued, you can subscribe to it in a reader via RSS Feed. You can also subscribe by email and have articles delivered to your inbox, or follow me on twitter to get notified of new links.