Eight deviously constructed clues, with answers. How do you get the answers from the clues?
Have fun figuring them out. Post the annotations in the comments section.
Update (14th Apr 2014): Annotations added.
1. Guardian 26101 (Enigmatist): Cook's been able to do this once on time (common gender question posed by society!) (6,3,5) RETAIN THE ASHES
Annotation:RE (on) T (time) AIN'T HE A SHE (common gender question) S (society); definition: (Alistair) Cook's been able to do this once.
2. FT 14373 (Cinephile): Rhyme for rhyme for carriage makes stalemate (8) DEADLOCK
Annotation:rhyme for carriage: marriage = wedlock: rhyme for DEADLOCK; definition: stalemate.
3. Times 25649: Evil doctor in Emergency Room — victim of farmer's wife's thumping (8) ENORMOUS
Annotation:NO (evil doctor) in ER (Emergency Room), MOUS (victim of farmer's wife - MOUSE with its tail cut off, as in Three Blind Mice); definition: thumping.
4. Times 25695: Boy, there's some warbling around about the place close to memorial! (5,6,4) ROYAL ALBERT HALL
Annotation:ROY (boy i.e. a boy's name) + LA-LA-LA (some warbling) reversed, about BERTH (place) + L (close to 'memoriaL'); &lit for a concert hall in London, which is close to the Albert Memorial.
5. Guardian 26206 (Philistine): Therapist of the nose? Pay attention to include wise report about that (13) PSYCHOANALYST
Annotation:CHOANAL (of the nose) in YY ("wise" report i.e. a homophone) in PSST (pay attention); definition: therapist.
6. Times 25733: Lake that's divided as expanse has contracted (4,3) ARAL SEA
Annotation:L (lake) "that's divided" i.e. in AS, contracted by i.e. contained in AREA (expanse); &lit for the shrinking and division of the Aral Sea.
7. Guardian 26183 (Orlando): Grow up with short story collection (6) SPROUT
Annotation:"collection" i.e. anagram of UP and STOR[y]; definition: grow up.
8. FT 14581 (Gozo): Rough on the seabed, holding nothing, containers missing (7) UNKEMPT
Annotation:SUNK (on the seabed) + EMPTY (holding nothing), with containers missing i.e. [s]UNK EMPT[y]. definition: rough.
- Abbreviations Every Solver Must Know
- How to Interpret Punctuation in Clues
- 5 Ordinary Words with Obscure Meanings in Cryptic Crosswords
If you wish to keep track of further articles on Crossword Unclued, you can subscribe to it in a reader via RSS Feed. You can also subscribe by email and have articles delivered to your inbox, or follow me on twitter to get notified of new links.