On popular demand, here is another edition of Clue Challenge: Annotate These Answers with eight clues I found tricky to parse when I solved them. As before, the clues are given with their solutions. Your challenge is to figure out how the answer is derived from the clue. Have fun!
Update (17th March 2011): Annotations added.
1. Times 24658: Fit in nurses with opening of sanatorium (8) HANDSOME
Annotation: HOME (in) nurses i.e. contains AND (with) + S[anatorium]; definition: fit.
2. Guardian 25165 (Brendan): Annoyance concealed by German repeatedly (5) ANGER
Annotation: ANGER is hidden in "GermAN GERman"; definition: annoyance.
3. Times 24520: Particular person, on reflection briefly, short and plump for a queen (9) NITPICKER
Annotation: TIN[y] (briefly, short) reversed, PICK (plump for i.e. choose) ER (a queen); definition: particular person.
4. Guardian 25228: Miniature person getting from A to B in the end (9) THUMBNAIL
Annotation: HUMAN (person) – A + B, inside TAIL (the end); definition: miniature.
5. Times 24776: Troops, new to work (8) COMMANDO
Annotation: COMMA (,) N (new) DO (work); definition: troops. Look up how to interpret punctuation in clues for more examples of punctuation as wordplay.
6. FT 13637 (Cinephile): Art spy with orders (6) PRIEST
Annotation: [thou] art spy = [thou] priest, based on "pry"; definition: …with orders. An adjectival phrase to define a noun is not Ximenean but FT does allow the liberty on occasion.
7. Guardian 25242 (Paul): A hospital with a few recovered, feeding three times, no more (2,3,4) AT THE MOST
Annotation: A, H (hospital) + SOME (a few) reversed, in TTT (three times); definition: no more.
8. Times 24777: Henry, out of practice, comes in second: unfair! (1,3,5) A BIT THICK
Annotation: H (Henry) taken out of HABIT (practice) and moved into TICK (second); definition: unfair.
If you wish to keep track of further articles on Crossword Unclued, you can subscribe to it in a reader via RSS Feed. You can also subscribe by email and have articles delivered to your inbox, or follow me on twitter to get notified of new links.