It's Holi time, it's Hindi varg-paheli time. Take a stab - there is a prize to be won!
Kishore and I present to you our fifth Hindi cryptic crossword. After clueing in couplet form for the last Hindi puzzle, we go back to the classic concise clueing style. You might spot a theme or two in the grid. If you do, tell us.
Enjoy solving. Wish you good luck - and very Happy Holi.
1 जब दिन ढले, तब संत ध्यान लगाकर करते हैं तन का परित्याग (2)
नीचे की ओर
1 संगमरमर के ताजमहल के सामने वाले हिस्सों में मिलने वाले इशारे (3)
PDF format available here.
Notes On The Crossword
- Word lengths are in syllables e.g. each of the words पहला, प्रथम, प्रदान, प्रस्थान will be enumerated as (3).
- Complex consonants go into a single cell e.g. वर्ग will be split into two cells, the first with व, the second with र्ग. Similarly, प्रस्थान will be split into three cells, the first with प्र, the second with स्था, the third with न.
- In wordplay, the matras may be treated independently of the letters e.g. राम when anagrammed can give मार or मरा.
- Send in your completed entries to shuchi [at] crosswordunclued [dot] com, with the subject line "Hindi Cryptic Crossword 5 – Solution", latest by Saturday 26th March 2016.
- Entries may be sent in this solution template – replace "Your Name" in the file name with your name. If not using the template, the solution should be legible and readable in a standard text or image reader. PNG, Excel, Word formats are all OK.
- Solution words should be in Devanagari script. [A tool like Quillpad can be used for typing in Hindi.]
- Entries should contain annotations for the answers. Any annotation format is all right – words or symbols, Hindi or English – as long as how you arrived at the answer is clear.
If you have any questions related to solution submission, please post them in the comments section.
The winner can choose gift vouchers on Flipkart or Amazon IN/US/UK, worth INR 1000 (or equivalent in USD/GBP).
The solver with the maximum correct answers, correctly annotated, will win. In case of ties, the winner will be picked by a lucky draw.
The solution to the crossword and the winner's name will be announced in a follow-up post after 26th March 2016.
Get solving now – all the best!
Update (29-Mar-2016): Hindi Crossword 5: Solution and Winner
- Previous Hindi crosswords: 1, 2, 3, 4
- How do you spell Ximenean in Hindi?
- A crossword in Bahasa Indonesia
If you wish to keep track of further articles on Crossword Unclued, you can subscribe to it in a reader via RSS Feed. You can also subscribe by email and have articles delivered to your inbox, or follow me on twitter to get notified of new links.